Growing up, one of my all time favorite dishes was my Grandmother’s German Potato Salad. It was always such a special treat when she made it that I wanted to find a really great German Potato Salad to include with the Slender For Life™ weight loss recipes. I love the fact that it is served hot and it makes a wonderful side dish for fall and winter. I don’t know what Grandma’s recipe was, but this recipe is originally from FatFree Vegan Kitchen. Enjoy!
Vegan German Potato Salad
Though the smoked salt gives this potato salad a somewhat bacony flavor, crumbled tempeh bacon , if you happen to have it, is a great addition.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon creole or other whole grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- generous grating of black pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon hickory smoked salt or other smoked salt
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions or chopped red onions
- Wash the potatoes well and if they are large, cut them in to halves or quarters; try to keep your pieces about the same size so they cook at the same speed. Bring a pot of water to boil, add the potatoes, and cook until they are tender when pierced with a fork. The time will depend on the size of the potatoes (my large, cut in half potatoes took about 25 minutes).
- Drain the water from the potatoes in a colander and rinse them with cold water to cool them down enough to handle. If you want, you can peel them (I didn’t). Chop them into bite-sized cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients except the onions in a small bowl. Pour over the potatoes and mix well. Stir in the onions. Check flavor and add more vinegar, salt, pepper, or smoked salt to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 5
Nutrition (per serving): 144 calories, 2 calories from fat, .28 total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 160.4mg sodium, 800.3mg potassium, 32.5g carbohydrates, 4.3g fiber, 1.6g sugar, 4g protein
Copyright © 2006-2014 Susan Voisin and FatFree Vegan Kitchen. All rights reserved.
FatFree Vegan Kitchen is one of my favorite weight loss recipe resources. If you have a healthy plant based recipe or plant based web site to share, please share it in the comments below.
Your Hypnosis Health Info Hypnotic Suggestion for today:
I fuel my body with wholesome and diverse experiences.
Remember to sign up to receive daily blog posts at the top right side of this page NOW!