New federal exercise guidelines include strength training for all and nobody’s exempt – not even children or older adults.
The new Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, released October 7, 2008, by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, are the most comprehensive federal recommendations ever and the new gold standard.
Here is an overview the the new federal exercise guidelines:
• Adults should get at least 2½ hours of moderate-intensity physical activity each week, such as brisk walking, or 1¼ hours of a vigorous-intensity activity, such as jogging or swimming laps, or a combination of the two types, to get the most health benefits from exercise. These aerobic activities should be done in at least 10-minute bouts.
• To get even more health benefits, people should do five hours of moderate-intensity physical activity each week or 2½ hours of vigorous activity.
• Adults should do muscle-strengthening (resistance) activities at a moderate- or high-intensity level for all major muscle groups two or more days a week. This should include exercises for the chest, back, shoulders, upper legs, hips, abdomen and lower legs. The exercises can be done with free weights or machines, resistance bands, calisthenics that use body weight for resistance (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups), or carrying heavy loads or doing heavy gardening such as digging or hoeing.
• Children and adolescents should do an hour or more of moderate-intensity to vigorous aerobic physical activity each day. That should include vigorous activity at least three days a week, and it should include bone-strengthening activities such as running, jumping rope, skipping, playing hopscotch and muscle-strengthening activities such as tug of war, modified sit-ups and push-ups.
• Older Americans should follow the guidelines for other adults if they are able. If not, they should be as active as their physical condition allows. If they are at risk of falling, they should do exercises that improve balance.
• Adults with disabilities should also follow the guidelines for other adults if they are able.
Regular physical activity has been shown to lower the risk of early death and many serious medical conditions. It helps prevent weight gain and promotes weight loss when combined with a reduced-calorie diet. About a third of Americans say they engage in regular leisure-time activities of moderate or vigorous intensity, one survey showed.
Here are some ideas on how you can meet these new guidelines in a week:
• Take a brisk walk for 30 minutes on five days (moderate intensity); exercise with resistance bands two days (muscle strengthening).
• Run for 25 minutes three days (vigorous intensity); lift weights on two days.
• Take a brisk walk for 30 minutes two days (moderate); go dancing for an hour one evening (moderate); mow the law for 30 minutes (moderate); do heavy gardening two days (muscle strengthening).
• Do 30 minutes of an aerobic dance class (vigorous); do 30 minutes of running one day (vigorous); take a brisk walk for 30 minutes one day (moderate); do calisthenics (sit-ups, push-ups) on three days.
• Bike to and from work for 30 minutes on three days (moderate); play softball for 60 minutes one day (moderate); use weight machines two days.
• Play doubles tennis for 45 minutes two days (moderate); lift weights one day; hike vigorously for 30 minutes and go rock climbing one day (muscle strengthening).
OK – so you don’t like to exercise. Well, there is a solution: Watch Light Switch Self Hypnosis and find out how easy self hypnosis is. Using the Light Switch Self Hypnosis technique is an easy way for you to use hypnotherapy to motivate yourself to exercise. If you want health, exercise isn’t optional – it’s a gotta!
You can also watch these videos on Power Minutes: Power Minutes, How To Use Power Minutes, Written Suggestions, Course Corrections, Powerfully Creating A New Path and Orange Blossom. Use hypnosis several times a day, every day. Check out Walk Your Way Slim, Burn Fat Fast, Look At What Regular Exercise Can Do! and Boost Your Energy.
Your Hypnosis Health Info Hypnotic Suggestion for today:
I move, firm, shape, strengthen and tone my body.