Sloppy Lentil Joes is this weeks featured recipe in the Slender For Life™ Recipe Library. Sloppy Joes was one of my favorite grade school lunch meals. Of course way back then, it was made with fatty, greasy ground beef. I’ve made various versions of plant-based Sloppy Joes over the years – some were good and some, well – not so much. This recipe looks really good and I’m looking forward trying it. Slender For Life™ Recipe Library has more than 30,000 free whole food plant-based recipes for you. So, if Sloppy Joes isn’t your thing, you can’t help but find other delicious meals to keep you slender, healthy and satisfied for years to come.
SLOPPY LENTIL JOES
By Heather McDougall
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- 3 ⅓ cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ cups dried brown lentils
- 1 15-ounce can diced fire roasted
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
This is a quick and easy meal that also reheats well for lunch the next day or two. Serve this stuffed into a whole-grain bun and eat with your hands, or ladle it over the buns (open-face style) and eat with a fork. I usually serve steam ed kale with this dish and fresh corn, when in season. From drmcdougall.com
In st r u ct i o n s:
- Place 1/3 cup of the water or stock in a large pot.
- Add the onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until onions soften slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and m ix in well. Add the remaining liquid, lentils, tomatoes, and the rest of the seasonings. Mix well, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on whole-wheat buns, or fresh baked bread, with the trimmings of your choice.Find this Sloppy Lentil Joes recipe and more BBQ ideas
in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App
The Slender For Life™ Recipe Library
has more than 30,000 free scrumptious recipes
just waiting for you!
Your Hypnosis Health Info Hypnotic Suggestion for today:
I love preparing nutritious, health-empowering meals for my family.
If you’d like to receive daily blog posts, it’s easy! You can sign up in the upper right corner of this page.