Consult with your Tax Professional

Hypnosis Health Info, Slender For Life™ and Roger Moore are not giving tax advice. After you have read the information below, consult with your Tax Professional and see if you qualify for this tax credit.

You Can Get 100%  I.R.S. Tax Credit  for your Weight Loss and/or Smoking Cessation Hypnotherapy Program.

Tax laws passed for 2003 on-wards mean you can get a tax credit of your out-of-pocket expense for tobacco cessation–cigarettes, pipe, cigar and chewing tobacco.

You can also be receive 100% Tax Credit for out-of-pocket expense  for weight loss programs if you were advised by a physician to lose weight.

This is a tax credit – not a tax deduction, so that means 100% credit for your out-of-pocket expenses!

The information below is presented as a courtesy from Academy of NLP & Hypnosis and is quoted from pages 12 and 15 of IRS Publication 502 year 2003.

Stop-Tobacco Use Programs:

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for a program to stop tobacco use. However, you cannot include in medical expenses amounts you pay for drugs that do not require a prescription, such as nicotine gum or patches that are designed to assist you to stop a tobacco habit.

Weight-Loss Programs:

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group and attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.

How to Report:

To claim the tax credit, complete Form 8885, Health Coverage Tax Credit, and attach it to your Form 1040 or Form 1040NR. Report the credit on Form 1040, line 67, or Form 1040NR, line 62, and check box c. You cannot claim the credit on Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ.

You must attach invoices and proof of payment for any amounts you include on line 2 of Form 8885 for which you did not receive an advance payment. If you file your return electronically, attach the invoices and proof of payment to your Form 8453. Proof of payment may include a pay stub if insurance is through a spouse’s employment, a bank check, or bank statement for premiums that are automatically deducted from your account.

If you claim this tax credit, you cannot take the same expenses that you use to figure your health coverage tax credit into account in determining your:

  • Medical and dental expenses on Schedule A (Form 1040)
  • Self-employed health insurance deduction, or
  • Archer Medical Savings Account (MSA) distributions.

Consult with your Tax Professional